Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Where would you time travel to?

Hi Everyone!

Well, finally settled after moving. We love being here so far! It's so great to be close to Nick and Emily and have an adventure on the east coast. Very cool!

So I love the question of the week thing. And it looks like we haven't had one in a while so I'll start one up.

I like the time period that I'm living in. I don't think that I would want to live my life in a different decade but I would love, love to have a month or so "vacations" in many times and places. Amoung many things:

*I would like to meet Jan Vermeer, the Dutch artist. Not much is known about him and his work is so lovely and touching. I would like to get to know more about him.
*I would like to meet my parents when they were in college. It would be such a riot for me to see them in the 60's.
*Selfishly, I would like to see what I was like as a little girl, pre-teen, and teen.
*I read a book called The Doomsday Book (have any of you read that? Pretty interesting.) It's sci-fi but not too sci-fi. It's based in the future where students from an English university time travel to the 1300's, with the plague and such. That would be a interesting thing to see for me. When everything that you do throughout the day has to do with your basic survivial. Very interesting.

Okay, so my question is: Where would you like to time travel to?

Hope all is well!
Kathy B.

5 comments:

Stepi

I really liked your suggestions Kathy, of where you'd pick to go, and I like the question as well.

It would be nice to be an observer of our childhood to compare memories with truth. I bet that could be funny and enlightening too.

I would just for a little bit love to live in the time of Jane Austen to be an "accomplished woman" making art, reading, going for walks, having witty conversations and balls...well, maybe just parties, and best of all--an entire house staff to clean and clean and clean!!

It seems thinking about this, I think more of people I'd like to meet not just time periods. I think it would be great to meet some of our ancestors. I'd love to meet the founding fathers and see the whole coming together of the Constitution. It would be great to see mom and dad, like you said. And I have to say, I'd like to meet Joseph Smith.

Italy during the renaissance would be great. But I also need to learn more about history to know where else I'd like to go!

Uncle Bill

Kathy - great question! As a scientist I have to say that time travel, into the future at least, is not possible. But visiting the past might be interesting indeed.

I would choose to join Lewis and Clark exploring the west - to see the Great Falls of the Missouri in Montana (now under a reservoir), see native Americas living as they did, the vast plains before they were plowed, the herds of buffalo, clear skies, and just join in the adventure. Imagine leaving home without any form of communication (no - cell phones did not work then!) and without any chance of resupply and heading to unchartered lands. Yep - take me along.

Do I get a second choice? Then I choose joining the first European explorers to central Africa.

Unknown

What!? No time travel...ever!? Bill, that's so not cool. :) Hey, you really should read that Doomsday Book (not the super old one). I bet you would like it. An easy read.

I say you can have as many answers as possible.

Kathy

I didn't know I was signed in as Scott but that was me...Kathy...Brooks.

Emily

Well, if I can just visit for a little bit and be back in time for showers and bathroom breaks I would like to visit

Mayflower Plymouth (I will take a supply of energy bars hidden in my pocket)

My parents when they are newly married and I'm a tiny baby

even me as a newly married so I can smack myself in the head and remind myself to slow down and enjoy it

Gold Rush/Wild West/Pioneers for just a little bit

  © Blogger template 'Gorgeous View' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP